First, decorative pillows. I scored the whimsical swirled Black and White Shams (2 Euro, 2 Standard) from Pottery Barn Kids for $2.99 each! I've been drooling over that fabric for months, originally wanting a rocker upholstered in that pattern for our nursery. I grabbed the lattice-print pillow at Target on clearance due to their remodel (adding a grocery to the one closer to us!). And the other pattern is a skirt I purchased on Ann Taylor Loft's sale rack 2 years ago, wore to my cousin's wedding, and know that my post-baby hips will never squeeze into again, so I'm going to sew it closed into a nice throw pillow! I haven't decided what duvet these will coordinate with just yet in the guest bedroom.
Next is our new master bed. We're breaking up our gorgeous master suite set just for interest. The wooden sleigh bed will now become our guest bed, and we will sleep in this amazing and light-on-the-eyes Porto iron bed from Crate & Barrel. We haven't clicked the "purchase" button yet, but we will when we move since we currently have NO spare storage in our tiny Wisconsin apartment. The dark cherry dresser, chest, and night table from our bedroom set will go beautifully with this bed, creating more balance in the room than having so many heavy pieces all together. Our current guest bed is a wooden bed with the same lines as the Porto bed below, and that will go in our son's room to be his "Big-Boy" bed when he outgrows his crib, which will happen before the blink of an eye if the next few years go as quickly as these last nearly-8 months!

And Ryan and I are dreaming of an office space, even if we have to sacrifice another room to create one. As a post-doc once we move to Nashville, and a professor after that, he needs a quiet place to study and write his genius research publications when he is home with us instead of in a cold, distracting laboratory. And I need a desk for my laptop (which currently sits on the floor in our hallway, where I have to lay on the ground to get wireless broadband access in our crappy apartment and have constant back-ache due to the uncomfortable position) and writing supplies for all the cards I love to send to friends and family! We found a desk we agree on so that they could coordinate (that, and I'm just too controlling of my design-desires to allow Ryan to get a big, bulky executive style desk!). Even though the price for the Bedford Small Desk was not jaw-gaping from Pottery Barn, the lines are so simple that I worked up construction plans to build our own, also giving Ryan some chest-puffing pride that he gets to go to Sears and buy things like a table saw and lots of wood from Home Depot! We're each going to have 2 cubbies on one side of our desk, but the desk top can be flipped so that the cubby can be on whichever side is most comfortable for each of us, and I can find baskets to go into the cubby, as below, to hide the always-unattractive pile of pens, scissors, and desk odds-and-ends. I will paint mine white, as below, but Ryan probably will paint his a chocolate brown or black to look more "wood-like" since he's (way too) in love with dark wood and would prefer to live in a dark wood house with dark wood furniture and dark wood floors...but I vetoed that plan. I think he'll come around when he sees how much more beautiful dark wood looks when it stands out as a feature against bright colors and other non-wood (or painted wood) pieces!

So, on with my dreaming, planning, and counting down the moments until Ryan finishes his PhD (that's right, ladies, I'm going to be a doctor's wife...just not the kind that can save your life if you're having a heart attack in a restaurant!) so that we can start putting our plans and dreams into action and making them reality!
No comments:
Post a Comment