Saturday, February 27, 2010

Baby Cakes

At my final cake class (actually the 3rd of 4 classes in the course, but I'll miss the 4th one while we're traveling next week), we learned more classic cake techniques: shell borders, the Wilton rose, drop and twist flowers, clowns, and face figures. 

We had the option of taking a cake or cupcakes to practice on, and I was eager to learn one of the cupcakes in our student workbook so that I can make them for a friend's baby shower our church is hosting soon.  The design uses stars to fill in the baby carriage (which should also have a blue outline, but I was running short on blue icing after practicing a few roses with it), a figure face (which will also have eyes, hair, and a pacifier detail added), and the twist flowers with dot centers for carriage wheels.  I learned the hard way to buy the pre-made Wilton black frosting for the eye details because the frosting I bought and dyed with food coloring tasted like ink, so I threw it away and didn't use it on my cupcakes!

 

Unfortunately the rose I made was pretty good but got smooshed when I dropped it while transferring it from the flower nail onto the cupcake!  

I also used the chocolate butter cream frosting on dark chocolate cupcakes, just to practice that frosting option, and because we like chocolate in our house and we were keeping these goodies for ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment