Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fabric and Paper

When I was a kid, I had to take baths... I just wasn't raised as a shower person.  But then I went to college and had no choice but to shower as there were no bath tubs...and if there were, I wouldn't have dared sit down in them! 

When we moved up north, I stayed a shower person out of habit.  Also maybe out of fear of the bathtubs since the rental apartments weren't brand-spanking-new and who knows what previous tenants had done in/to those tubs! 

But when we bought our own house, I became a bath person again.   For one, it saves water to have a set amount in the tub while I relax as long as I want/can instead of standing in the hot  shower while water pours out the shower-head and down the drain.  And secondly, we have a "garden tub" by a window, so I can look out the top of the window at the sky every morning or night, or whatever time of day I bathe. 

Sure, I had sewn a half-curtain and painted some bubbles on the wall.




But it still wasn't much to look at.

Inspired by a friend's nursery wall decor and the round shape of my end-of-the-toilet-paper-roll bubbles, I went on a mission.  I picked up 4 wooden sewing hoops and a few scrap pieces of quilter's fabric at JoAnn and framed some matching/coordinating fabrics as art.

But there was still something left to be desired above the tub.  Since we aren't willing to/able to invest in specialty lighting above the tub (we watch Holmes on Homes... we know you have to have special wiring above the body of water!), I wanted either a sparkly non-electric chandelier up there or something else equally pretty...but preferably cheaper!

Enter Martha Stewart tissue paper pom poms.

I made 3 white paper pom poms pinched together with a paper clip in the middle and strung up with clear fishing line.

The finished product:

(view in the mirror)

(Actual view)

The jury is still out on how long the pom poms will stay fluffy during Hubby's steamy morning showers and whether or not we like them long-term.  But since they're just held up with thumb tacks, they can easily be ripped down to be replaced or abandoned on as quick of a whim as they were created and hung!

2 comments:

  1. Cute! We made something like this for our wedding, but they were much thicker and harder to make. If you google tissue paper pomander, you'll get instructions and whatnot :)

    New follower, please stop on by..
    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these...so cute!

    ReplyDelete