Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Great Nursery Reveal!

It's done!  Well... enough to show you!

There is still art to be added into the frames (which are hanging on the wall in waiting) and hand prints to paint on the canvas (awaiting the birth of the baby with such hands).  But otherwise, Baby 2's nursery is ready and waiting for his arrival to sleep in my new favorite room of the house!

First let's look back at this room on the day we moved in: it had bright blue walls (smeared with previous owner's boogers...ew!), stained carpet concealing hundreds of neon orange bee-bee pellets, and no closet doors.





While we still haven't added closet doors, we have done a lot of work to this room. I may add a curtain over the closet soon, but until I decide whether to do that or keep saving for new closet doors, I've made it bearable and functional without being concealed.  We replaced the carpet with Oak Laminate wood flooring and repainted every.thing...after scrubbing away all the boogies, that is!

After all of that, we started on projects for Baby 2, due in just 4 short weeks (though I hope he comes in 3 weeks...to keep up with a quirky tradition in our family about his birthday...so I may spend 4/7 eating spicy food and walking a LOT to try and get him out on 4/8!)

After gathering some inspiration, I made a crib skirt, some window treatments, and painted the armoire.  And then came the fun part: assembling and decorating the room! 

We re-used the crib from Big Brother, the recliner we used for Big Brother, and the armoire we already owned.  And the rest came in at about $500.  I'll try to breakdown the budget below.

But first, let's feast our eyes on my pride and joy, and a room I am so glad I love since I will be spending many an hour in there in just a few short weeks!

The whole room centers around my favorite childhood song and this book:
"You Are My Sunshine."  (This book has adorable illustrations, too!)


The two frames over the crib will be filled with Hubby-created typography prints inspired by these I found on Pinterest and Etsy: You Are My Sunshine and You Make Me Happy When Skies Are Gray.  The gray canvas over the rocking chair will be stamped with Baby's hands and feet before I write one of my favorite scriptures over them, as seen here - Micah 6:8.


Since everyone and their mom has bought out all the IKEA spice racks to use as book racks and many other useful purposes throughout their homes, Hubby had to use some scrap wood to build some book ledges for our baby's nursery.  And the paper hanging above them is a place-holder for an 8x10 canvas on which we will display the baby's name and birth statistics (date, weight, height, etc) once he is born.  The hand print Sunshine art was made using my 2 year old's hand prints...much to his finger-paint-despising dismay!

For display on the ledge, we used the book jackets of some of our kids' favorite books.  They still get to enjoy the stories on the shelf in my other son's room, but we get to preserve the rip-able covers and show off their favorite tales!

Little did my Mother in Law know that I had this monogram planned long before she gave me some craft buttons for Christmas!  Leftover fabric and free gifted buttons on a leftover canvas from paintings I made for Big Brother's room made this a free monogram craft for the baby!
(And my lion addiction is always on display... once an ADPi, always an ADPi!)

The hat to the left was purchased from Etsy and will be  used in Baby's newborn photos.  The print is from my childhood bathroom, again with the lyrics to the song.  The giraffe is my other favorite animal for kids...maybe more than Lions in cute-factor, but with no legitimate attachment other than adoration!

 Paper lanterns and IKEA plug-in cords make great ambient lighting when I will have to spend late night hours with the baby and want to avoid the bright overhead fixture's glow.  They are plugged into a surge protector mounted to the side of the armoire so that I can flip the switch while I secure baby onto the changing table for diaper-duty, and they also serve as a point of interest for him to stare at while I scrub his tooshie. 

This mirror was the first purchase we made for the nursery on the day we found out we were (probably) expecting  another boy.  I knew it was the perfect jumping-off-point for my song inspiration.
The bumble bee was hiding in our overgrown/dead garden when we moved into our house.  Some scrubbing and blue spray paint later, he's quite the fun wall ornament (and yes, he is heavily supported and off to the side to avoid falling on Baby's head during a diaper change)

Handmade with love.  The blanket was made by my friend's mom for my first son.  I sewed (with zippers!  Yes, be very impressed!) the two pillows and the pouf ottoman to accent the room.

Inspired by my friend, Pamela, I made this mobile with both colors from the nursery and high-contrast black and white fabrics to attract Baby's eyes when he's laying in his crib.


Budget Breakdown:

$0 - Already owned items (crib, rocker, armoire, bee, wall and trim paints, scrap wood, notions, etc)
$35 - Furniture (yard sale changing table and side table)
$55 - Rug (which I got on a big sale!)
$91 - Fabrics and stuffing for pouf, pillows, window treatment, crib skirt, art, mobile, etc
$18 - 2 new crib sheets
$40 - Mirror
$19 - New stuffed animals (also have a few hand-me-downs from Mommy and Big Brother)
$53 - Art supplies (canvases, frames, paints)
$45 - Wood trim, wood ledge/shelf, and metal L-brackets
$12 - New changing pad cover (also have hand-me-downs in other colors)
$6 - Blackout roller shade (hides behind window treatment)
$12 - ABC toy
$5 - 2 blue trays
$14 - 3 baskets on changing table (2 white for cloth diapers and 1 metal for hats, changing covers, etc)

Total: $405 (though I may be forgetting a few smaller items...)

1 comment:

  1. dawn, i love it! the room, the colors, the inspirations, the mobile!!!

    ReplyDelete