Monday, January 2, 2012

Nursery Pin-spiration

When we found out we were pregnant with Baby #2, I was so thrilled to get to decorate a nursery.  With our first son, we lived in a rented apartment with white walls, and his crib sat about 13 inches from my edge of the mattress in our master bedroom.  I wasn't exactly willing to hang up kiddie stuff to stare at in our room while the baby slept all day.  He had cute bedding and a matching little bath mat/rug by the crib, but otherwise, he didn't have a space of his own, decorated just for him.

So this time, I get to do it right.  I also get to learn from some inspiration instead of going too themey (NOT my thing anyway) and keep things simple to grow with our baby as he becomes a toddler and kid before we move out of this house in a few years.

If we had a girl, I was set on gray and lavender for colors with white and purple butterflies in all the art (which I planned to DIY with buttons, fabric, and paint).  But since we're expecting another boy (though I still say I only 80% believe that), we're going with a more sentimental inspiration: the song "You Are My Sunshine."  My daddy sang this song to me when  I was growing up, and I sing it to my kids.  Our colors are gray, light blue, and sunshine yellow, with white and black accents thrown in too.

And here are some of the ideas I've taken into consideration when planning the room...

Art:
We plan to DIY some typographic prints in my husband's Publisher software and have them printed in color (we only have a black and white printer...from 2001....yeah, we need to upgrade!) like these:

 From here

From here.

And some contributions from Big Brother, such as this:
From here.

Decor:

From one of my favorite blogger mamas, here.

Lanterns serve as both soft lamp-light and decor for baby to stare up at above him like this.
From here.

Room:

Two tone walls with a ledge for decor and division like this:
From here.

We ordered this dark charcoal, trellis pattern, 100% wool rug.  It is great to contrast the lighter colors in the room and is also neutral enough to use in other rooms if we redecorate the kiddos' rooms as they grow and change.
From here.

The contractor was here this morning to measure our upstairs bonus room for new carpeting.  As soon as we paint it and get the new carpet installed, our guest room will move up to that room and we can get crackin' on making these nursery dreams a reality.  Baby 2 will be here before we know it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment