Thursday, March 17, 2011

Master Bedroom

After a week, are you sufficiently teased

Sorry for the long delay...it has been a busy week, including an overnight out of town, a newborn photography session, and trying to keep up with chores amidst a toddler who is napping less and less (I'm doomed when he gives up napping if he does so before he starts going to school).

Remember the master bedroom when we moved in?  Cavernous, a dark beige (cardboard box!), and totally exposed to the neighbors thanks to 3 huge windows with no treatments nor back yard fence?






Anyhow, the nearly-finished master bedroom reveal is finally here!


Like our dome-less fan with exposed CFL bulbs?  This fan was here and has a cracked dome, which we could re-use, but it won't fit over the CFLs that we put in (which are longer than the other CFLs we have in various fixtures around the house).  We are considering taking this fan down to put up the fan from the upstairs bonus room that we previously removed, which is oiled bronze instead of brass, but it has no dome.  So until we decide and/or find a replacement dome or light kit for the other fan, we live with it as-is.





We also have yet to order curtains for this room, but we'll get there.  It is less important than some other projects, so although an inexpensive item, we need to prioritize other things first.

Also, like Hubby's briefcase and mesh bag that holds his sleeping bag?  I obviously decided to take photos instead of finishing the pre-photo tidy-up process....and/or I forgot to crop this photo before uploading it.  Let's go ahead and blame the impatience to finally update the blog over the lazy-factor!


We played a trick with the room.  We placed the bed off-center along the long wall so that as you enter the room, there is more than enough space, making the room feel even bigger than it is!  It does leave an empty corner between the wedding photo and dresser, but I haven't decided what to put there, if anything.  I'm definitely a fan of some open wall space in a home so that it isn't too cluttered with stuff.  


I have plans for that frame leaning by the close doorway.  Plans that involve more white spraypaint, wrapping paper, and hopefully some monogram decals that my BFF can cut for me on her handy-dandy Cricut machine!  It will eventually fill that empty void above the chest.

And finally, my favorite spot in the room.  We purchased this chair from Target.  Actually, we purchased 2 but decided 1 bold chair was enough for us.  It was supposed to go in the living room, but once we started trying it out, I decided I liked it better for a vignette in the bedroom, leaving more playroom for our son in the living area.  And the art is the most valuable thing in our house (besides my son)....as in, in case of a fire, I'll grab my son and this guitar...in that order, I hope!  It was my dad's Gibson Dove guitar, purchased in the late 1960s or early 1970s.  He strummed many a lullaby and James Taylor cover performance on this beauty, and I tear up every time I run my fingers along the well-loved strings and now-cracked finish.  Someday, I hope to take it to the Gibson shop here in town and see what I can do to restore it....and maybe someday after that, I'll learn how to play it.  But in the mean time, and even afterward, it will hang as a beautiful piece in my home.  The most cherished relic I inherited when he passed away 12 years ago.


Likey?  It will be even more classy once we replace the floors in the coming month, add curtains, and the final touches of art.  Any takers to teach me how to tune and play the guitar?

No comments:

Post a Comment