Sunday, June 27, 2010

Birthday Cakes

I love interior decorating, but there's something to be said for the sugary taste of cake decorating too!

To utilize my cake decorating class-learned skills, I took on the task of making my son's cake for his first birthday party. 

It started as 5 9x13 cakes.  4 were trimmed down and layered into an 18 x 12 sheet.


Then they were iced with white butter cream frosting.



Then began the task of creating a fun Elmo face with icing "fur." I used the Wilton grass/fur tip to get Elmo's red hair properly scruffy.  I used a toothpick and paint brush to spread around his nose and mouth to give them some texture without blending in with the red furry texture.


And then began the fun "extra" decor of dots, shell border, and then the fun new trial of spraying some edible yellow spray as an accent on the borders and side edges. 


The remaining 9x13 was cut into 2 circles (the width of our cereal bowls, which is what I used to cut the shapes!) and layered to be the cake for my son to demolish.  Though he demonstrated amazing destruction technique with a cupcake he was given on his actual birthday, he was not interested in messing up all Mommy's hard work on his party cake!  Ah well, more triple-chocolate fudge chocolate-chip cake for me to enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment